There are a lot of things I would change about my zine if I could go back and do this project again. I felt as though my research was extremely lacking throughout and it hindered my work. I feel as though I would have produced a much better outcome if I would have put some more time into looking at other zines and small publications. It would have also given me a chance to decide and figure out if I wanted to take a more fun, interesting approach or look at manuals and more technical publications for inspirations and take my design in that direction. Although my zine had a general theme and idea I feel as though there was a distinct lack of defined direction.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Final outcome, feedback and changes
This is how my zine looks after all of the previous alterations. I scrapped out the old cover for a design I created using the halftone pattern I made for the centre spread. I altered the dots on in the bottom right corner to spell out “DOTS” in the negative space. I’m very happy with how this turned out and I think it is extremely effective and eye catching. I’m much happier with it than I was with the old cover. It also wraps around to the back cover so it’s not a boring white page like before.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Alterations Part 3
After I created the last flat plan I then recreated it in inDesign. I did a booklet print of it at A3 two sided with trim and bleed marks. After I trimmed it I fold all of the spreads and bound them with a saddle stitch to finish off my prototype. after I finished putting it together I had a critique with one of my lectures and some of my fellow classmates. I was already not too happy about my cover since it was rushed and and not very well thought out. This cover that I later scrapped originated from some experimenting I did using letterpress. You can see my experiments here. It didn’t really suit the style of my zine. Something else that was mentioned was that I should remove some elements to free up some whitespace and to remove the page numbers since they wasn’t 100% necessary in such a small publication.
Continue reading Designer Zine: Alterations Part 2
When initially thinking about and planning my zine I wanted to aid for readability. From what I have research a basic way of creating pleasing type is to have a good contrast between the body type and the heading type. Since I my zine is quite neutral in tone of voice I decided to choose typefaces that reflect that. For my headings I chose to use Helvetica Neue because it is very neutral, has a great amount of weight variations, styles and clear and readable bold weights for headings. This means it is a great fit for the headings in my zine.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Type Selection
After I had gathered all of my source material I would be putting into my zine I was ready to start drawing up my second flat plan. This time knowing the amount of content I would be laying out. I decided to move the full page spread from my flat plan to the middle of the zine so there would be a somewhat of a break between the heavier text filled pages of the zine that surround it. I felt this helps slow the pacing down some and breaks the zine up making it easier for the reader to consume. I also added some visual elements that are not just images. This helped fill out the zine some.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Alterations Part 1
The video below shows my process for creating the halftone patterns I used within my zine. From the onset it can seem daunting however when you break it down it is a very simple process.
When setting up the document for my zine I set it to 12 pages at size A5 with facing pages enabled. This means I have an A5 booklet. I set the margin and left the gutter as default as I would be using guides for my grid instead. I also added 3mm of bleed around the whole document as I know I will be having elements of my zine the bleed off the edge of the page.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Document Setup and Grid
Due to being quite limited in resources for getting imagery for my zine I had to best utilise what I had available to me. That mainly being my the camera on my phone. I managed to get some okay micro halftones shots with my phone using a small plastic lens I pulled out of an old CD drive. I mounted the lens to a piece of card so it was easier to align and handle.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Photography and Content Creation
When initially starting my Zine project I wanted to show how different printing techniques look in a microscopic view. Due to letterpress being relief printing using solid tones of colour when look at under a microscope you just see solid colour unlike offset printing and lithographic printing where you often see halftones. Since I had to do these prints anyway I decided to experiment with using letterpress for my cover. Although I later scrapped this idea due to it not looking too great in the way I implemented it and it not logically suiting my zine I definitely liked the experience and think I may use it at a later date.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Letterpress Experiments
I chose to create a zine about CMYK and halftone dots. I thought about what kind of theme and style I wanted it to be in. Since it’s about CMYK I already had a good idea of the kinds of colour scheme I would be using. For the aestetic I wanted to focus on showing the interesting visual nature of the halftone grids themselves. Due to my want to use CMYK halftone imagery I was quite limited in the colours and types of paper I could use because I wanted concentrate on having accurate representations of the colours of the halftones and I felt different coloured paper would take away from that.
Continue reading Designed Zine: Starting out